Right now I am so busy that I don’t have time to really think about my future. I work long hard hours now and I don’t see how I can do anything different.
Maybe you are finding yourself with this attitude about your business or career. There are so many things to do now, how do you add more to it? Brian Tracey once said, “There is never enough time to do everything, but there is always enough time to do the most important thing.”
Here are five things that can change your future.
1. Decide. What it is that you want? Call it a purpose, objective or goal, but write down what you really want to accomplish either in your business or life.
2. Take Stock. Figure out where you are right now. Describe your life and business. This includes your resources, the environment that you are in, the friends and contacts that you have. Everything that has value or might have value is important to recognize.
3. Anticipate. What are the obstacles that are currently standing in your way for reaching your purpose or goals? What is very likely to stand in your way in the future? Keep the future obstacles in mind as well so that you can prepare for them and not allow them to sabotage your plans.
4. Plan. Put together a plan that is flexible and yet realistic in being able to achieve the goals or purpose that you have set out to accomplish. Most people stumble right here. They think that a list of goals is a plan. But there is more to it than that. You must include time frames, costs (financial, energy, skills, etc.) support from others, etc. if you are going to put a realistic plan together.
5. Execute. Flight plans and road trip plans don’t do any good if you don’t get the car started or go to the airport. You must ACT if you are going to reach your goals. If you procrastinate in any area, understand that it is an obstacle that you must find a way to overcome or you will be stuck right where you are. Action focused on the plan is the key. Change plans carefully and if necessary. But keep moving forward.
You can achieve so much more than you ever thought possible when you put a plan together and develop the skills and systems to effectively utilize the resources that you have and will have in the future.
When we are working at 100% now, who has the time to expand a business or increase marketing, sales, etc. We have plans for growing our business but who has the time to implement the ideas?
This is much more common than people realize. We have cut back expenses to the bare minimums, which means we as the business owner are going to carry as much of the load as possible and wonder when will we be able to invest just a little bit more time and money to help grow the business.
If we do invest a little bit to grow the business will it be enough to move forward and create the needed cash flow to keep that investment going? And can we sustain the pressure and weight of adding more to our plate on a daily basis. Even if we hire someone on a part-time or contract basis, we will need to manage that person and project.
So how do we get ahead? How do we get to the point that we can reduce the stress, increase the cash reserves, and free up just a little bit of time?
There are several profitable initiatives that can be implemented in almost every business to capture some elusive cash flow and profit. The question is do you know what they are and can you implement the initiative yourself or will you need help?
Your concern should be to find the quickest return on your investment so that you can continue to invest and find additional and bigger cash flow and profit gains.
A. Low or no profit Products and services
One place to start would be to search for low or no profit products and services and to eliminate them or make them more profitable. Anywhere from 20 to 40% of all products and services fall into this category. Often it is subsidized by other products and services and we don’t even know it.
B. No or low profit customers
Another possibility would be to find the low or no profit customer and show them why the cost for keeping them as your customer is higher than others and then renegotiate your price with them. While this may not be possible every time, many times a customer will accept a change in what they are being charged if they understand that it needs to be a win-win for everyone.
These are just two initiatives that a business owner can use. There are many more to consider. Once you can squeeze a some extra from your business you can continue to develop plans to really grow your profits.
If you have any questions about how you can implement these cash flow and profit initiatives call Crossroads Consultants at: 980-241-0189.
When we consider all the assets that we have available to us, it is amazing how much of these resources that we waste on a day-to-day basis. As business owners and managers our goal is to be as productive and profitable as possible. So which resource to we tend to waste the most?
Many times we do not see that we are, personally, the greatest asset that we have in our lives, career, and business. You may say, “Well everyone knows that.” But do they invest in maximizing the value of themselves as much as they do all the other resources which they manage on a day-to-day basis?
Our own personal ability to produce is based on what we know, the skills we have learned, and the decisions that we make that translate into action or results. So when we do not feel like we’ve accomplished what we wanted to or needed to, we need to consider did we know what we needed to know, have the skills to perform at a level needed to achieve the tasks, and did we prioritize by making the best decisions throughout the day.
Making sure that we are prioritizing our actions so that we are doing the most important and not just the most urgent tasks is critical to high quality accomplishment. Sometimes we do things that we would like to do and put off those things which we don’t like to do. But it’s not a matter of whether we like to or not, the question is which is more important to the overall goals and objectives that we have set.
So, if you are not where you want to be, or if you are not accomplishing what you want to accomplish, you need to first reflect on the choices that you are making on a day-to-day basis. High quality decision-making and performance is a skill set. This skill set can be learned and developed to help you to be more successful every day.
Start thinking, what are my choices and which outcomes of those choices are the most important to my goals and future?